Pineapple Rasam recipe | sweet and spicy rasam recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. spicy, sweet and tangy rasam recipe with pineapple, tomatoes and spices.
It is a twist to the traditional rasam recipe and is too good for rice and can be even had as a soup. pineapple adds up a distinct flavour to the regular rasam.
I first had this pineapple rasam at a sadhya meal served in a wedding. i tried imitating it by adding chopped pineapples and it did not give out the flavour of pineapple as the dal and tamarind and other spices overcome it.
Pineapple Rasam recipe
pineapple rasam recipe
to crush coarsely
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 7-8 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
to make rasam
- 1 cup pineapple made to paste
- 2 large tomatoes crushed
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup pineapple chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 cup tamarind water
- 1/2 cup tur dal cooked and mashed
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp rasam powder
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 2 tsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- cook tur dal, mash and keep it ready
- coarsely crush peppercorns, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, garlic cloves and curry leaves. keep it aside.
- coarsely crush the tomatoes or give it a pulse and keep it ready. also make a paste of pineapples.
- heat oil in a pan and pop in mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- add the crushed spices, crushed tomatoes and mix well.
- further add pineapple chunks, turmeric powder, asafoetida and fry until mushy.
- add tamarind water, pineapple paste, cooked and mashed tur dal, 2 cups water, salt, chilli powder , jaggery and rasam powder.
- mix well and let it come to a rolling bowl.
- put off, add chopped coriander leaves and close the lid.
- serve hot with rice
How to make Pineapple Rasam recipe
1.In a mortar pestle, grind coarsely peppercorns, cumin seeds, garlic cloves, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
2. crush it coarsely and keep it ready.
3. grind 1 cup pineapple to a fine paste.
4. coarsely crush tomatoes and keep it ready.
5. heat oil in a pan and pop in mustard seeds and curry leaves.
6. add crushed spices, crushed tomatoes and mix well.
7. further add chopped pineapples, turmeric powder, asafoetida and fry till mushy.
8. add tamarind water (soak lemon size tamarind in 1/2 cup water, squeeze out the extract). add 2 cups water along with it.
9. further add cooked and mashed tur dal 1/2 cup and the prepared pineapple paste.
10. ad salt, chilli powder and rasam powder.
11. mix well and add lastly, add jaggery. let it come to a rolling boil.
12. add chopped coriander leaves, mix well. switch off and immediately close the vessel for the flavors to be retained.
13. serve this delicious rasam with rice.