Thrissur kootu curry recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. there are three common kootu curry recipes that are followed – 1. with black chickpeas (kadala) 2. with chana dal (kadala parippu) 3. with cow peas
kootu curry is one of the mains served in kerala sadya. generally raw banana and yam is used in kootu curry. One important thing is using nendran raw banana instead of any other variety as the taste will differ for each variety.
quick video of kootu curry
step wise pics of making thrissur kootu curry recipe
1.soak chana dal for atleast 30 minutes while you cut the vegetables. chop yam and raw banana. take it in a pan along with salt, turmeric powder, green chilli and curry leaves. add little water.
2.mix well, close and cook in medium heat until it is cooked and is soft.
3.open and mash it slightly.
4. meanwhile, grind coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste and add it to the curry.
5. add jaggery , pepper powder and mix once. let it boil for few minutes while you prepare the tempering
6. for tempering: heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chilli and grated coconut. fry until the coconut is reddish brown in colour.
7. add the fried coconut tempering to the curry and mix well. the curry thickens once cool. so leave it little watery.
recipe card of kootu curry recipe
thrissur style kootu curry recipe
- 1/2 cup chana dal soaked for 30 min – 1 hour
- 1/2 cup yam chopped
- 1/2 cup raw banana chopped
- 1 no green chilli slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 cup jaggery
- 2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 no red chilli
- 1/2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup grated coconut
soak chana dal for 30 min to 1 hour. drain and add to the pan along with yam and raw banana.
further add green chilli, curry leaves, salt and turmeric powder. close and cook until soft.
grind coconut and cumin to a fine paste. add it to the cooked vegetable.
mix well and let it boil. add jaggery and pepper powder. mix again.
for tempering: heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds, red chilli, curry leaves and grated coconut.
fry until reddish brown and add the tempering to the curry. mix well.