Tamarind rice | puliyodharai | puliyogare recipe | Kovil puliyodharai | Puli Sadam| Instant Puliyogare | Temple style tamarind rice recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Iyengar Puliyodharai Recipe also called as Puli sadam where rice is mixed with home made Puliyodharai paste/Puliyodharai mix/puliyogare powder.
This south Indian Tamil style tamarind rice has a unique taste and flavor unlike the regular ones. when served in small quantity seems to be most delicious dish ever:) .This recipe of puli sadham is simple, instant version where you prepare the tamarind rice powder/puliyodharai mix instant and add it to the pulikaachal/tamarind paste and altogether mix it with cooked rice.
tamarind rice parcels /puli sadha pottalam is most commonly preferred parcels during travel as it stays fresh for longer duration.
Tamarind rice – puliyodharai recipe quick video:
Tamarind rice puliyodharai recipe card:
Puli Sadam| Kovil puliyodharai
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1.5 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 dry red chillies
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tamarind
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal split
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch hing
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1.5 cups rice
dry roast all the ingredients given under "to roast and grind". roast until slightly brown, cool and grind to fine powder.
for tamarind extract heat 2 cups water, add tamarind and keep it aside until use.
heat sesame oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. add urad dal, chana dal, red chilli, curry leaves, peanuts and turmeric powder.
roast for half a minute and add prepared powder, hing, mix well.
strain and add tamarind extract to the pan, salt to taste and mix well.
close and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
open and add jaggery, let it boil in simmer while stirring in between until it forms a thick paste leaving out oil on all sides of pan.
cook the rice, let it cool and add the prepared paste to it. mix well with fork and serve with fryums.
Tamarind rice – puliyodharai recipe with step by step photos:
making of puliyodarai mix:
- take all the ingredients together. Shown below are red chillies, fenugreek, peppercorns, urad dal split, chana dal, coriander seeds, sesame seeds.
- dry roast until it is slightly brown. fry in simmer so that you dont burn it.
- cool the mixture and grind it to a fine powder. keep it aside until use.
preparing tamarind extract:
- heat 2 cups water and add tamarind to it. mix and let it come to a rolling boil. keep it aside until use. boiling water will extract maximum extract from the tamarind. this way its time saving than soaking it in plain water. you can skip this step and add tamarind to plain water for 20 -30 minutes and extract after that .
preparing puli kaachal/tamarind paste
- heat oil in a pan, crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal, chana dal, red chillies, curry leaves. then add roasted peanuts and turmeric powder.
- mix well and heat it up for few seconds.
- add prepared puliyodharai powder and mix well
- little pinch of asafoetida and mix again. let all this happen in simmer/medium flame.
- now strain and add the tamarind extract. we have used 2 cups water for the extract, add it as such.
- salt to taste, mix well, close and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- after 5 minutes, open and find that it has reduced it size by half.
- at this stage, add jaggery powder and mix well.
- keep stirring in between and cook in simmer until you get a thick paste like in pic4. oil leaves out the sides and the paste thickens and get darkened. when almost all moisture leaves out, stir continuously so that it does not stick to the bottom of pan.
- meanwhile, cook rice and keep it aside to cool. i have cooked 1.5 cups sona masoori rice. rice has to be completely cool. now add the paste to the rice. i have used almost all the paste except for 2 tbsp of it.
- mix well with fork as using ladles or hand you might smash the rice.
pin for later: