Beetroot Pachadi recipe – Kerala style Beetroot pachadi recipe
Beetroot pachadi recipe | Kerala Style Beetroot Pachadi Recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Pachadi is one of the important recipe in Kerala sadhya, made with coconut, curd and beetroot.
Beetroot pachadi is very healthy and colorful dish in Kerala sadhya menu made in very simple way. There are two methods in which this can be done. you can grate the beetroot and make this recipe or cube them and pressure cook. since grating beetroot can mess up the whole area. I prefer to cube them and pressure cook. but both tastes good and if you do not like chunks, mash it up well after it gets cooked completely.
So Grate or cube the beetroots is your preference. But if you grate, you need not pressure cook the beetroots, just boil it with little water. close and cook until it is done.
Again, adding sugar in this recipe is advisable to retain the attractive color and also to balance the sweet, spicy, sour taste. One important thing is after adding coconut paste, do not boil. just heat it up and switch off. after switching off, add curd and quickly stir without lumps. by following this method, you will get excellent texture without curdle.
there are few other pachadi/kichadi recipes that you might be interested to check, they are ladies finger pachadi, tindora pachadi, tomato pachadi, raw papaya pachadi, pineapple pachadi, thandu mathan pachadi, etc., Beetroot recipes – beetroot poori ,beetroot chutney, Beetroot Halwa, etc.,
Here is the quick video of how to make Beetroot Pachadi:
Directions/Step by Step Photos of Beetroot pachadi recipe:
- wash and peel the beetroots, just one medium sized beetroot is enough for making pachadi. wash and peel the skin, cube them to bite sized pieces.
2. together add green chilies broken and chopped ginger. ginger gets cooked and mashed along with beetroot. So chop it roughly.
3. Add enough water to pressure cook the vegetable until mushy. approximately till the beetroots are immersed in water. now, sprinkle salt to taste and sugar a pinch.
4. Pressure cook for 4 whistles or until it is mushy. based on your cooker size/beetroot type this may vary between 4-6. If you are worried about the water level, then fill the pressure cooker with 2-3 cups water, keep the beetroots in a vessel inside cooker and fill the vessel with water. This way, you need not worry about scorching.
5. Open and mash it well.
6. to the mashed beetroots, add coconut cumin paste. some recipes include coconut+cumin+mustard seeds. first grind together coconut and cumin, add little water and grind again to thick paste. add it to the beetroot pachadi.
7. Mix well. keeping the flame low, quickly stir until it just gets heated up. need not boil.
8. lastly, switch off and add thick curd. scoop curd and add it to the cooker. note that you have to switch off before adding curd.
9. mix well quick and brisk until it is well combined and smooth without lumps.
10. Lets prepare the seasoning for the pachadi. Heat coconut oil in a tadka/ seasoning pan, crackle mustard seeds and drop few curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds crackle and curry leaves get crispy.
11. add the seasoning to the pachadi and stir well to combine.
serve beetroot pachadi along with rice and curry.
Beetroot Pachadi ~ Sadhya Recipes ~ Kerala Recipes
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup beetroot cubed
- 1 long green chilli broken
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 scoop thick curd
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Grate the beetroot and cook it with little salt and turmeric powder. Close and cook in medium flame until Beetroot is soft and cooked
- Grind Coconut, Green chillies, Mustard seeds and cumin seeds to a fine paste
- Add the ground paste to cooked beetroot and cook for a minute or two until the raw smell of coconut goes off
- Add beaten curd, mix well and switch off the stove.
- For seasoning: Heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chilli and cumin seeds. Add the seasoning to the pachadi.