Kalakai pickle | Karonde ka achar
Kalakai pickle recipe | Karonde ka achar with step by step photos and video recipe. simple, easy homemade pickle recipe with karonda/kalakai/karakai.
some of the instant pickle recipes:
Carissa carandas is a species of flowering shrub that produces berry-sized fruits that are commonly used as a condiment in Indian pickles and spices.
In some recipes, the fruits are first de-seeded and then used in making pickles. Just like Amla or gooseberry , it can be used as such while the seeds can be discarded when pickle is served.
It is very sour in taste that you have to be generous in adding chilli powder and salt to balance the taste.
Kalakai pickle recipe
Step by step recipe of making karonde ka achar
To make this achar, firstly, lets roast and powder the spices. Dry roast mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds.
Roast until the mustard starts popping and fenugreek is slightly roasted. cool it and grind to a coarse powder.
Heat sesame oil in the same pot and put the clean fruits into it. mix well and let it cook on medium heat until soft.
Mix in between and continue to cook until the seeds start cracking.
Put off the stove. add salt and turmeric and mix well. salt reduces the heat of the oil followed by which spice powders can be added.
Further add the red chilli powder, asafoetida.
Freshly prepared pickle powder from step 1 is also added and mixed well. store it in a clean pickle jar and let it sit overnight or a day and taste it.
- 1.5 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 2-2.5 cups kalakai/karonda
- salt to taste
- `1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp asafoetida
- dry roast mustard, cumin, and fenugreek seeds until the mustard pops and fenugreek turn slightly brown.
- cool and grind to a coarse powder. keep it aside
- heat oil in a pan and add the kalakai in it. mix and cook the fruit in oil until soft.
- switch off the flame and add salt and turmeric powder.
- mix well. add chilli powder, asafoetida and prepared pickle powder. mix well and store it in a clean container.