Hariyali chicken recipe | Green chicken recipe – Herb based chicken curry mainly made with mint, coriander, green chilies and other spices.
About six years back when I was working in an IT company, I was asked to bring a different chicken curry for a potluck. I was then newly married and I knew to make some decent usual curries but not different ones. I wanted to try this green chicken and got the recipe from my FIL.
I was totally satisfied when I got positive reviews and it got finished in seconds. I used 2 kg chicken for making the curry and when it was finished in seconds, what else would make a cook happy?
For making this curry, its a three step process: firstly, prepare the green paste. second is to cook the chicken with other spices. Lastly, add the green paste and cook again.
some of the other chicken curry/fry recipes:
- Butter Chicken Recipe
- Ulli Chicken Recipe
- Kozhi Unakkamulak Recipe
- Chicken Chukka Recipe
- Payyoli Chicken Fry Recipe
- Palak Chicken Fry Recipe
- Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe
- Erode Chicken Thanni Kulambu Recipe
- Pepper Chicken Recipe Kerala Style
- Restaurant Style Dragon Chicken
- Andhra Chilli Chicken Recipe
- Pallipalayam Chicken Fry
- Kerala Chicken Curry
- Chicken Roast Recipe Kerala Style
Hariyali chicken – video recipe
How to make Green chicken:
To prepare the green chicken, firstly, lets prepare the green paste. For this, grind together handful of mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, curd and green chillies together to a fine paste. Keep the paste ready.
In a pan, heat oil and ghee. crackle cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds crackle, add chopped onions and fry till slightly brown.
When it turns slightly brown, add chicken pieces and fry till it becomes pale white in color and starts releasing water.
At this stage, add salt, turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes.
Mix well. close and cook until the chicken is almost done. check in between if water is needed. stir and keep checking the moisture content.
Open and add coriander powder, chilli powder.
and prepared green paste. Mix everything together until well combined.
Close and cook again till the raw smell leaves. Colour of the curry changes from pale green to dark green leaving out oil on the sides of the pan.
lastly, add garam masala, lemon juice and mix well.
Close and cook for another 5 minutes. Open and stir once. serve it hot with roti or rice.
Hariyali chicken recipe
Hariyali chicken recipe
to grind raw
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 12 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp ginger chopped
- 3 nos green chillies
- 1/8 cup curd
For making curry
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 750 gms chicken
- 1.25 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 slice lemon squeeze
- Grind everything given under "to grind raw" to a a fine paste and keep it aside.
- heat oil + ghee and crackle cumin seeds.
- add onions and fry till translucent
- further add chicken and cook until the chicken turns whitish and starts leaving out water.
- at thsi point, add salt, turmeric powder, tomatoes and mix once. close and cook until the chicken is half cooked.
- open and add the green paste, coriander powder, chilli powder and mix. close and cook again until chicken is soft and completely cooked.
- lastly, add garam masala, lemon juice and cook further for 5 minutes.
- mix and serve hot with rice or roti.